Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Bounty of Lessons and Loot

 The weather has been absolutely phenomenal today! The kids and I, and even my husband, walked over to the recycling bins. It was a bounteous harvest! 
 Tons of the most recent coupons!
 Loads of great magazines! All new!!


Not only are these great reading material for the bathroom, but several of them are loaded with coupons, recipes and money saving ideas!
You just never know what you'll find in the recycling bins. Here are a couple of interesting tid bits that are part of a bigger story. 
It appears that someone passed away and whomever cleaned out her estate unloaded tons of it in the Spanish Fork recycling bins. To whomever it was, *note* tablecloths and plastic binders are not considered paper items.
Anywho, thanks for the new tablecloth. :)
There were piles of personal papers, letters and cards. I would have spent at least another hour sorting through this person's mementos but the hubs was with me and did not appreciate the treasure trove the way I did. 
The items featured in the above picture are from this same decedent. 
What a full life! So many souvenirs from various travel destinations!
The one I chose to keep was quite a treasure indeed! It is a small booklet on how to pan for gold and even has a real sample of gold included!!!  
And people call me crazy for dumpster diving!


 


  It also appears that this woman and her husband served a mission. Hence the old Missionary Pal reference book. I will be donating that to either the ward library or to the library project for overseas families of service personnel that our church is involved in.
 Finally, the two lovely Valentines cards. It just so happens that old Valentines cards are collectible. When I have time, I would love to go back with a grabber and do some more sorting to see if there are any more that I missed. I will enjoy these cards for myself for a week or two and then list them for sale online. 
 Again, people call me crazy for dumpster diving!!!!

Now the very important lessons that need to be passed on:
Be careful what you throw in the recycling bins!!!
 Come on folks, look through your things! Especially if you are throwing out someone else's property!!
 I won't list exactly what I found, but thank heavens I am an honest, God-fearing woman!
 I took care of the situation as best I could so that no criminals would be able to profit from it, but seriously!!! Some things NEED to be shredded!!!
            I just can't stress this enough!
Overall, what a rewarding trip to the bins! I love this day! :) And tomorrow, bright and early, I get to hit Walmarts double coupon extravaganza! I hope they're ready for me!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really impressive, I'm a little bummed I didn't beat you to the bins, oh well there is always tomorrow and more people will be "recycling":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lessons, cute cards, and I'm thankful that you're a God-fearing honest woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darlene my sweet, you have to get up pretty early to beat the master at her game! ;) There are also usually plenty at the bins at Park Elem.

    ReplyDelete