Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Making Jam



Today I made jam! My sweet mother in law Ellen was generous enough to share half her day and lots of her knowledge with me, and together we made three batches of beautiful berry filled jam!

I had tons of frozen berries and needed room in my deep freeze for some of the great sales going on. Making jam was the logical thing to do! Plus, now I won't have to spend a fortune buying jam at the store!

It took approximately 30 minutes per batch and for me it was definitely a two person job. 
We mashed the berries and pre-mixed the pectin with 1/4 C of sugar to help it dissolve.
There was a lot of stirring involved! Lots and lots of stirring!!!
We had to boil our lids and our jars. If you decide to attempt this, be sure to have tongs and hot pads on hand!
The boiling jam needed to go right into the jars. It was a bit messy. Next time we will use a funnel. :)
We ran out of rings and I panicked for a minute. It seems that during one of my de-cluttering sprees, I must have gotten rid of them. Luckily, there were extras on the jars that Ellen brought. What a lucky discovery!
The jam turned out beautiful and we had a bit left over that I'm going to use as a syrup on wheat pancakes for dinner tonight. Add a bit of whipped cream, and I'm sure it will be fabulous!
This was a fun learning experience. I will definitely do it again sometime! I still have more berries, so I've engaged my mom to help/teach me to make some berry filled pies to put in my freezer! I'm super excited for the next adventure!
Be brave people! With the right tools and a patient, knowledgeable teacher, you can do so many great and productive things! :)   









                     

No comments:

Post a Comment