Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Reasons to clip...



Here are some good reasons to clip coupons for things you don't normally buy and to order sample freebies for things that aren't your regulars!
I went to a wedding last night and these are the contents of the gift I put together. I didn't have time to take a pic of the gift assembled. It was all placed nicely in the black tote and then wrapped up in a clear cellophane basket bag from the dollar store. I recycled a flower bow from my own wedding and used some pretty ribbon from my odds and ends ribbon drawer. With a cute card from the dollar store, I must say that it looked lovely!
I call this my Newlywed Starter kit. It has all of those bits and pieces that you need but don't have when you're starting out and are way more useful than fancy glass tableware.
Including the wrapping, I spent about $17 on this gift and feel that it was money well placed. The average wedding gift, including pricey card and average wrapping and bow, is around $45. Several of these items are from the dollar store, but that's only because they were last minute additions. If I had started planning sooner, I know I could have gotten them at my usual drugstores or big box stores for cheaper or free. The hygiene kit that I included(for them to use in their 72 hour emergency kits) was nearly all FREE. Lots of coupon-sale deals and online samples that I ordered.
So no, you might not care for that particular shampoo or deoderant, but it could make an excellent addition to a 'Starter' gift. Get a large box or tote (or some smaller boxes and totes if you want to be really organized) and just start loading up all of your 'Starter gift' supplies to use throughout the year. You'll have at least one wedding, graduation, house-warming, or going-away party to attend this year, so make your life easier (and cheaper!) by gathering these odds and ends!
If you're feeling particularly energetic and ambitious, go ahead and start putting the gifts together with what you have. You can start a zippy bag for your hygiene pack, one for household necesseties, etc. Then as you are able, wrap them up and put them in a dust free cupboard. If you are a social butterfly and attend lots of these events, you'll save yourself time, money, and stress by having a cupboard of ready to go gifts! All you have to do is fill out the card! (It's a good idea to stock up on cards for different occasions and keep them in a large recipe box, filed under their particular occasion. Walmart has some great $.44 cards. No more last minute gifts!!! yay!
Here are some of the things I would recommend collecting:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
dish soap
laundry soap/fabric softener
dish/wash cloths
scrubbie pads/sponges
vinyl gloves
scrub brushes
toothpaste
toothbrushes
shampoo/conditioner
hair spray
disposable razors
shave gel
deoderant
lotion
facial cleanser/moisturizer
floss
hand/body soap
sunscreen
paper clips
mini staplers
rubberbands
batteries
notepads
ball point pens
permanent markers
pencils
pencil sharpener
scissors
scotch tape
duct tape
super glue
screwdrivers
hammers
nail /screw assortment
leather work gloves
light bulbs
and any other things that you are always needing around the house!


















1 comment: