Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seeing the results


 This is the area that I raked all of the gravel out of. I covered the area with wet newspaper, then I added some good soil, some transplant greenery, red bark mulch, and some lovely big rocks. 
 The only things I paid for were the mulch and the water to keep the plants alive. I guess I paid for the gas we used to drive down to Santaquin and pick up the free rocks.
 I am so proud of this project and excited to see how many other projects I can finish on a minimal budget!
 I will probably add a tree in here somewhere, depending on whether or not my tree 

cuttings start taking root. 

 Below I will show some pictures of the areas that are current projects and then the very back part of our property that I have yet to start on. All we have done in the back is to plant fruit trees. We had a garden out there last year, but this season we have chosen to only do one row of veggies. I am planning to build my cutting garden back there, full of lovely flowers that I can decorate my indoor spaces with. I don't know that I'll get going on that project this year, as I am trying to spend as little money as possible. We shall see if it fits into my budget.




This is the area behind the shed. I have been raking and weeding, dejunking and cleaning. There have been all kinds of surprises buried in there! It's full of gravel. I have decided to save myself some grief and not fight the gravel, but rather work with it. Once I get rid of the weeds and bring in dirt to level out the whole space, I am going to plant one of my tree cuttings, which will shade our back lawn and our fenced in play area once it has grown a few feet. I am then going to bring in more gravel and some of the free boulders from Santaquin to use as seating around the tree. Some pretty, large flat stones will provide the walkways. Planting will be limited to the tree in the center, 2 Russian Sage bushes along the chain link fence, and then a couple of potted plants that I can easily change up as I get bored. If you know me at all, you know that simplicity is not my forte. I figure though, that with all of the other things I am doing to our property, we need at least one or two areas that are simple, clean and relaxing. 
This is the back garden area I told you about. I'm so excited to not see the neighbor's mobile home and piles of junk anymore!!! I'm going to get the rest of my hedge trees planted tonight that will separate our property from theirs and will, in a few years, block out the less than pleasant view.
 Here are the hedge trees that we planted a month ago. I plan to put in a nice ground divider to separate the lawn from the trees, and then to properly mulch the whole tree line. It is a lot of work and patience, but the amount of money we will save by not putting in a traditional fence, and the shade we will enjoy from the trees full grown, will make it all worth it!
 You can make a difference in your living space too. Roll up your sleeves, figure a bit of yardcare money into your monthly budget, and then get busy turning your property in a peaceful retreat from the world. 
 Even if you are a renter, there are still so many things you can do. Potted and hanging plants work great in small spaces. Add a small table and chair, and you've given yourself a peaceful, green sanctuary. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Lookin' good! I love what you've done with all those free rocks. I'll have to come by and see it in person. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete