Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Budgets... I hate budgets!

 We all know we should be sticking to a realistic budget, right? Just like eating right and getting enough exercise, sticking to a buget is one of those things that, although really good for us, is just so hard to stick to!!!
 After paying off my credit cards with our tax return, I promised my hubby that any more products I need in my Mary Kay business, I would ONLY PAY CASH for! This has been such a big challenge! I'm used to having a large invenotry (bought on credit) to service my customers. I know that if I were to stick to the plan of always using 60% to reinvest in my business, I would have plenty of inventory and all would be well. 
 There are weeks where I do really well at managing my business income, putting every dollar where it belongs. And then there are other weeks where I see some amazing deal or something that I just have to have, and end up using money that was allotted for product replacement and sales aids. So then of course my inventory drops and I have no money left to replace it. I end up super frustrated, and often with overdraft fees because I get so upset with my bank account that I can't stand to even check on it. 
 It is a viscious circle that I want desperately to break out of! You may not have a home business, but you do have a family income, whether from you, your spouse, or both. Remember how I said that you need to treat your home as a 'home store?' Well, stores keep meticulous records of every dollar that comes in or goes out. Products are immediately replace when sold. A successful business does not take its replacement funds to go on Disneyland vacations or buy new wardrobes, no matter how much they might be wanted/needed.
 Spend the funds inappropriately often enough, and your business will go under. That is of course exactly what we don't want to have happen. So today I am making yet another committment to myself and all of you. I am going to put up with the frustration of not having everything right when my customers want it, until I have enough extra profits to build up my inventory. My actual profits will go into a seperate checking account that I will be setting up tomorrow morning. I am going to keep them completely seperate, making it easier to track my funds and where they end up. 
 I know that this will require sacrifice and effort. But then again, anything worthwhile always does, right?? I want to know if you can do this too? Can you set limits on your personal spending, making the neccessary sacrifices for the success and well-being of your home store? You might not be able to take advantage of that great cereal deal this week. The pretty new dress will just have to wait. If you can look forward to the future though, you will see that these efforts will pay off in spades! Restraint now will lead to peace of mind later.
 Make the committment, then figure out what your income and necessary expenditures are, and from there, track every penny, be wise in your purchases, and practice self control! 
 Let's committ to each other that we will do this for 3 straight months. That gives us a realistic short term goal that I know we can handle. Just like eating right and exercising, the more you do it, the easier it gets and the more you want it!
 A quick quote and then I'm done:
"I had told myself that I 'deserved' it when it came to having everything I wanted, whenever I wanted it. But what I really deserve is freedom from nagging debt and the ability to stay home with our children."  -Christine W. Bowman

No comments:

Post a Comment