Current Projects

  • Couponing like crazy!
  • Turning Junk into Treasure!
  • Saving Plastic Bottles from Landfills!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saving Money In Many Ways

 Today was a day of surprising savings. I went to Shopko to pick up some Alli that I knew was on clearance. Plus I had a coupon. Upon closer inspection, I realized that my coupon wouldn't work for the quantity that was on clearance. ALWAYS ready your coupons down to the fine print! :)
 I was thrilled however, to find several Slim Fast products on clearance! I knew that my sister was also using these products and had some coupons for them that I had given her awhile ago. I called her and told her to get over there right away.
 While waiting for her, I dropped off a prescription at the pharmacy, expecting to pay my standard $10 copay. How excited was I when it turned out there was no copay required?! My insurance provider, Select Health (IHC) occasionally gives freebies on generics! If at all possible, I HIGHLY recommend this insurance provider!! I have been so very pleased with their coverage for the many years that I've been with them! What other provider do you know of that will actually CALL YOU to check on your health and to remind you that it's time for certain wellness appointments??? I really love them!!
 Another recent money saving adventure; my son broke my glasses a couple weeks ago. This was of course incredibly frustrating. I've been wearing my contacts way more since my glasses were unavailable. This unfortunately exacerbated an eye condition I was being treated for. I found out two days ago that I now have Keratitis in my right eye and am not allowed to wear contacts for three months!!! What was I to do??? No contacts, broken glasses, not able to get a new exam until the infection clears! I was spinning in circles about what to do. Then, a blessing from the Lord; my sis in law told me about a site she found that provided super inexpensive glasses ($9.95 + $4.95 shipping) called ZenniOptical.com. She had recently purchased her glassed from them and showed me them. They were plastic, not the highest quality perhaps, but cute and fashionable and you wouldn't know they were anything less than fabulous unless you really looked at them or cared. Well I of course was thrilled! Except that I didn't have a current eye glass rx and couldn't get one to use for the order.
 I was contemplating how I could con Shopko into giving me my year and a half old rx... but then decided to please karma and go the honest route, just telling them my situation. Apparently they had heard of my eye doc and didn't really like him and the ornery way he had reprimanded me about my lack of care for my eyes (a whole other story!!). They were very nice and quick to try to help me. It turns out that eye glass rx's are a different story from those for contact lenses. You can't use your contact lens scrip if it's more than a year old in Utah, but you can still get your scrip for eye glasses. Don't know why it's different. Don't care! The Lord blessed me. :)
 So I just ordered me some pink plastic glasses! Should be here in a couple weeks. Until then, I am using my taped up broken glasses. They are driving me crazy! I did do a fairly decent job of covering up the tape with some bedazzle... They still don't sit right though or stay up when I look down. Real money savers are willing to put up with a bit of discomfort sometimes in order to save money though. I am hardcore! :)
 So my sister arrived at the store and graciously gave me one of her coupons. We both saved tons of money today and are well-stocked on something we were going to buy anyway!




 Saved 100% on my scrip. Saved just over 50% on the cans of shake mix. Saved around 35% on the boxes of shakes.
 This was a good day!!! You just never know where you will find savings if you have your eyes open and are ready to receive the blessings!
 Happy Savings to all and to all a good night! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment